The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is an important piece of legislation that is designed to strengthen and unify data protection laws for all individuals within the European Union. The regulation will become effective and enforceable on the 25th May 2018.
What is Fatcat Apps doing about GDPR?
We have been working to guarantee Fatcat Apps’s own compliance, and assessing how it will affect our own customers. We are fully committed to achieving GDPR compliance.
Here’s an abbreviated version of our GDPR roadmap and where we are on our journey:
- Research the areas of our product & business impacted by GDPR – COMPLETE
- Consult with EU attorneys specializing in GDPR compliance – COMPLETE
- Rewrite our terms of service – COMPLETE
- Communicate our updated terms & privacy compliance – COMPLETE
- Appoint a Data Protection Officer – COMPLETE
- Conduct employee training – COMPLETE
- Perform changes/improvements to our products based on GDPR requirements:
- Optin Cat – COMPLETE
- Quiz Cat – COMPLETE
- Landing Page Cat – COMPLETE
(Note – Pixel Cat & Easy Pricing Tables don’t require any changes to be compliant with GDPR)
Does GDPR apply to you?
There’s a good chance GDPR applies to you. Even if you’re not incorporated in the EU, GDPR applies to all businesses with customers, users or website visitors who are from the EU. This means that any organization in the world that works with EU residents’ personal data in any manner has obligations to protect their users’ data and be GDPR compliant.
Fatcat Apps sells downloadable software that our customers run on their own servers. Our software doesn’t “phone home”, nor is Fatcat Apps able to access any information our customers collect using our software. Fatcat Apps does not process any data that its customers collect. All information collected using our products is stored on our customers server. This makes our customers both data processor and data controller.
Which product changes is Fatcat Apps making?
Some of our plugins (Quiz Cat, Optin Cat, Landing Page Cat) enable our users to capture and store personal information. We’re making the following product changes across the board:
- Double optin. Lets users turn on double optin, if supported by their email provider.
- Consent checkboxes. Lets users add a consent checkbox to their optin forms.
- Consent log. Logs the consent status of people that opt in.
- Integration with WordPress 4.9.6 GDPR features. Integrates with the “data export” and “data erasure” features introduced with WordPress 4.9.6.
You can view our knowledgebase to learn more about the product changes we’ve made:
What do Fatcat Apps customer need to do?
- If you use Optin Cat, Quiz Cat or Landing Page Cat, and GDPR applies to you, you’ll want to enable our new GDPR features.
Where can I learn more about GDPR?
There are many great resources that help you get ready for GDPR. To get started, read the General Data Protection Regulation as published by the European Parliament.
Third Party services you may be using with one of Fatcat Apps’ plugins
- Google Analytics
- Campaign Monitor
- Mad Mimi
Feel free to contact us us if you have any further questions about GDPR compliance.