Single Opt-in vs. Double Opt-in remains an ongoing discussion for email marketers. A Optin Cat user recently asked us how to set up Aweber Single Optin, so I decided to write this post.
Note: This only works with the paid version of Optin Cat. Optin Cat is a highly effective WordPress plugin that helps bloggers & content marketers rapidly grow their Aweber lists. Click here to learn more.
Should I Set Up Aweber Single Optin?
Quick Reminder: Double Optin means that your subscriber has to click a link in a confirmation email after optin in. Single Optin means that your subscriber will be added straight to your Aweber / MailChimp / etc list.
First things first – is disabling Aweber Double Optin worth it? I think so (I mostly use single optin myself), but read through the advantages / disadvantages yourself and make up your mind.
Advantages Of Using Aweber Single Opt-in
- You’ll grow your list faster as up to 20% [source] of subscribers will fail to click the confirmation link.
- Some people don’t fully understand the double optin process and will fall through the cracks.
Disadvantages Of Using Aweber Single Opt-in
- You’ll be sure that people really want to hear from you, which might result in fewer spam complaints.
- People who have to jump trough hoops to hear from you will be much more responsive, resulting in a higher quality list.
- Your list will be cleaner – you’ll only get Aweber subscribers with email addresses that actually work, resulting in less bounces.
- All of the above might result in a better sender reputation & higher delivery rates.
Still unsure? Here’s some great articles on the topic.
- “New Research in the Epic Battle Between Double and Single Opt-in”. Well researched post from the GetResponse blog. The GetResponse team leans towards recommending double optin.
- Robert Tyson tested double optin vs. single optin and found that double optin results in 23.6% of his subscribers not confirming while not decreasing his list quality.
- Jeanne Jennings recommends single opt-in for most people.
Setting Up Aweber Single Optin in WordPress Using Optin Cat
First, please contact Aweber support ([email protected]) and tell them: “Please turn off confirmed opt-in turned for my API subscribers”.
Next, after installing Optin Cat, log into your WordPress admin and got to Optin Cat -> Add New. Simply set up your form and connect it to your Aweber account.
Hit save. That’s it, you’ve just successfully set up Optin Cat WordPres Plugin with Aweber Single Opt-in.
Not using Optin Cat? Optin Cat is a highly effective WordPress plugin that helps bloggers & content marketers rapidly grow their Aweber lists. Click here to learn more.